[whatwg] Video (Was: How not to fix HTML)

Shadow2531 shadow2531 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 17:20:00 PST 2006

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
> >
> > Would you be open to hearing suggestions about how to add native video
> > and video player support?
>
> Sure. FWIW, there's a lot of interest in browser vendors about introducing
> a <video> element or some such (or maybe making browsers natively support
> video in <object>, or both).
>
> (What's most needed right now in this area is probably implementation
> experience.)

<someelement>, the data can be mapped to a handler ( either native or
some plugin).

The problem with object and embed is that they are sort of universal.
You don't know for sure what handler is going to handle the resource
and therefore don't know what params the handler supports.

( Unless type="video/html5" is used and the UA only allows that type
to be loaded for native support or its official plugin and not some
random plugin that claims support.)

Now, a <video> element could be specific and support specific params.
A UA that fully supports the video element would have a handler that
fully supports the params laid out in the spec and fully supports
scripting and event handling laid out in the spec.

I think the <video> element should support fallback content like
<object>, but I think *maybe* no attributes should count as params (
only param elements. ).

In general, make <video> so there's only one way to do something. That
way you don't get:

<video file="this"></video>

on some pages and

<video>
    <param name="file" value="this">
</video>

on others.

The handler should also support some type of playlist like
<http://www.xspf.org/>. ( <audio> and the audio object should support
that too, but ... )

Just throwing up some ideas. :)

--