[whatwg] Video

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 00:13:58 PST 2006

Hello,

On 10/31/06, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au> wrote:

> Alexey Feldgendler wrote:
> > Flash player does not ship with browsers, at least not with every
> > browser, but this doesn't prevent Flash from being widely used.
>
>    "Initially, the Flash Player plug-in was not bundled with popular web
>     browsers and users had to visit Macromedia website to download it,
>     but as of year 2000, the Flash Player was already being distributed
>     with all AOL, Netscape and Internet Explorer browsers. Two years
>     later it shipped with all releases of Windows XP." -- Wikipedia
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash#History
>
> Besides, Flash is one of the few successful plugins.  Many others that
> have failed.

Yeah, Macromedia did a good job of spreading their Flash plug-in.

>From a Internet & Web video point-of-view...  Too bad Java applet support
isn't ubiquitous any more.  With Java you can write your own codecs.  With
Flash you can't.

Although I was told Java has about 80% support still.  So things like
Cortado <http://www.flumotion.net/cortado/> still work in many many browsers
still.

See ya

--