[whatwg] Element name expressiveness

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Tue Oct 31 06:43:37 PST 2006

That's a personal opinion, but I think it may have some value.

I find the proposed <x> and <t> elements to lack expressiveness in
their names. I understand that making them shorter is desirable, but
it also has a drawback: they're harder to understand simply by
looking at the source and their meaning can more easily be
misunderstood. Not everybody read the spec and those that don't are
more prone to use them inappropriately.

Personally, I'd favor <term> and <time> instead, or anything else
that conveys a meaning. That's especially important since these
element will have, most of the time, no noticeable effect on the
visual representation of the document.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/