[whatwg] Joe Clark's Criticisms of the WHATWG and HTML 5

Peter Michaux petermichaux at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 08:18:47 PST 2006

On 10/29/06, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:

> >     * Ban tables for layout.
>
> As long as graphic designers want to use grid-based layouts, telling
> them to fake them with floats or, worse, positioning is jumping from
> the frying pan into the fire. (And telling them to use display:
> table; doesn't work if IE doesn't support it.)

I agree with this and I just burned three hours trying to find a
table-free layout that would work cross browser and *function* well
for a new page page. I would like it if I could assign
display:table-cell to divs and get a column design. IE won't let me.
To get valid markup I must use a table tags if I want my layout to
*function* that way. There is no way to fake it. It took three minutes
to change the tags to table tags and the page functions perfectly now.
This is for the benefit of the users.

Peter