[whatwg] Footnotes, endnotes, sidenotes

Michael(tm) Smith mikes at opera.com
Tue Oct 31 18:31:26 PST 2006

James Graham <jg307 at cam.ac.uk>, 2006-10-31 14:30 +0000:

> I think and distinction between footnotes, sidenotes and endnotes is
> basically presentational and whilst we should try to ensure that markup+CSS
> can create all three appearances we shouldn't treat them distinctly.

As a name for footnotes, endnotes, and marginalia (sidenotes)
that's free from presentational baggage, "annotation" (or "anno")
might be a good choice. I guess plain "note" might also, except
that a note can also be a type of admonition (along with a
warning, etc.), displayed in the main text flow.

And along with being presented as marginalia, footnotes, and
endnotes, each annotation might also be displayed in a separate
pop-up window (not numbered and collected as footnotes/endnotes).

  --Mike