[whatwg] Footnotes, endnotes, sidenotes

Michael(tm) Smith mikes at opera.com
Tue Oct 31 23:49:33 PST 2006

Sander Tekelenburg <tekelenb at euronet.nl>, 2006-11-01 06:10 +0100:

> At 20:35 -0800 UTC, on 2006-10-31, Jonathan Worent wrote:
>
> > I came across an article by Jesper Tverskov titled The benefits of
> >footnotes in webpages.
> > (http://www.smackthemouse.com/footnotes) It may be of interest.
>
> IMO the problems with the title attribute he lists are in fact browser
> implementation poverty, not title attribute problems. Same for his arguments
> for "footnotes".

Whatever browser implementation poverty there might be in handling
of the title attribute, the fundamental deficiency is that basing
a mechanism for displaying annotations on an attribute value
limits the content of the annotations to text. Annotations that
can't even contain simple character formatting are useless for
anything except the simplest purposes.

  --Mike