[whatwg] WhatWG and <embed>

Christian Biesinger cbiesinger at web.de
Mon Sep 4 15:49:56 PDT 2006

Shadow2531 wrote:
>> > "The UA may ignore the codebase if it is determined that it does not
>> > contain a base IRI".  Basically, ignore codebase if it has known URIs
>> > to cab files etc. in it.
>>
>> Ew...
>
> As in "No way!" or 'Ew' as in "I hate that IE does that!" or other?

"Ew" as in "I wouldn't want to see that text in any spec".

> It's O.K., if it makes the plugin work, which is what matters. If the
> plugin doesn't know what 'data' is, you map it to something else like
> 'src'. If the plugin doesn't know what 'codebase' is, you map it to
> something else like 'baseurl' in the case of WMP.

Gecko maps data to src (in case of <object>), but that's all. It
certainly doesn't map codebase to anything else.

> I'd like the spec to describe exactly how browsers should do stuff like
> that.

Yes, that would be good. Although perhaps WhatWG is the wrong spec for
this, since it won't describe a plugin API...

> As for the priority deal. Here's an example:
>
> <object codebase="http://somesite.com/dir/">
>    <param name="baseurl" "http://someothersite.com/">
> </object>

See above re codebase. (Although, note that Gecko uses codebase as the
base URI for resolving the data attribute, and it passes the data it
receives from the resulting URI to the plugin).

> Should browser's be allowed to map false|true to 0|1 on a
> plugin-by-plugin basis in this case to make things work?

On a plugin-by-plugin basis? That would be insane, IMO. Why make
browsers do this? Only the plugin itself knows how to interpret a
certain parameter value. The browser doesn't even know the data type.

>> Presumably it's the plugin itself that handles those attribute mappings.
>
> Sometimes we know better than the plugins.

OK, can you point me to the code in Gecko that does the mappings you
mentioned? (except the data/src one, which is at
http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/layout/generic/nsObjectFrame.cpp#2477)

> There's just too much undefined behavior when it comes to
> object/embed. Let's add some detail. :)

Seeing as I don't think current browsers do most of those mappings, I
don't quite see the point of specifying them...

-christian