[whatwg] Modal Dialog Box support

Anders Rundgren anders.rundgren at telia.com
Tue Sep 5 02:30:23 PDT 2006

>> But it is very hard to create certain types of applications without
>> having  modal dialogs.

>That does not mean modal dialogs were a good idea, ever.

Christoph,

You are free to not use modal dialog in *your* applications.

You are also free to support end-users when windows magically "disappear"
because the [stupid] user in some way activated the wrong window.

You are also free to write the booklet "Dialogs for dummies", where you describe
for the world of legacy software developers why the concept of a transaction point
which is a core facility in a database system, should not have a GUI counterpart.

However, I would be less pleased if such ideas become the basis for standards
development because that without doubt leads to fragmentation, since not all
vendors can afford a "von oben/besserwisser" attitude towards their customers.

I once started out myself with the idea of bringing "perfect" solutions to the market.
Unfortunately, what was probably perfect for some people turned out as useless
for another group :-(

thanx,
Anders R