[whatwg] HTLM5 - Addressing the Password Craze?

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Thu Sep 7 23:45:31 PDT 2006

I would like to add a few more points here.

1) The hardware is very cumbersome.  It's not pervasive, it requires carrying
cards and tokens, and limits mobility.
2) Certificates are more easily stolen than passwords unless the certificates
have passwords on them.  Then, well, we are using passwords again.
Certificates have lost most of their value by this point I think.
3) Users just don't understand this stuff yet.  In the case of a system
failure most users will be completely lost with how to recover.
4) People are aware of the vulnerabilities of passwords and take at least some
reasonable precautions with them.  Certificates are not infallible and people
are not aware of how to properly protect them.

  Simplicity is golden here, as long as we don't truly compromise security.  I
don't think passwords are necessarily a compromise of security.  At least not
in contrast to TLS certificates (which I personally believe are a great
technology).

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/