[whatwg] WF2: Clarification on valueMissing requested

Alex Vincent ajvincent at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 01:05:55 PDT 2006

"The field has the required  attribute set but has no value selected."

In implementing this for Mozilla, I realized an edge case that could
prove troublesome.  Specifically, what happens if you have multiple
radio or checkboxes with the required attribute and no boxes checked
for any of them.

Alternatively, consider when the radio button is checked but doesn't
have a value... and some other radio input with the same name in the
same form does have a value.

There's an attempt to clarify it here:

"When a radio group has no checked radio button and more than one of
the radio buttons is marked as required, the UA should only tell the
user that the radio group as a whole is missing a value, not complain
about each radio button in turn, even though all of the radio buttons
marked with the required attribute would have the valueMissing flag
set."

Tell the user how?  Visually?  Through DOM events?  Both, or some
other way?  I'm working from the DOM events view right now, and this
could be the difference between dispatching one event and dispatching
many.

I don't require an immediate answer.  Forgive me if the questions
above have already been raised and discussed.

Alex Vincent

-- Alexander J. Vincent, June 30, 2001