[whatwg] on codecs in a 'video' tag.

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Apr 2 13:43:09 PDT 2007

Le 2007-03-30 à 16:41, Maciej Stachowiak a écrit :

> I think achieving broader interoperability will require us to find
> ways around this impasse, rather than bludgeoning each other until
> one side caves.

Isn't Theora already more interoperable than anything else? I mean,
there is a plugin for QuickTime, and there is also a filter for
DirectShow allowing it to work with Windows Media Player. Linux
distributions usually support Theora out of the box and anyone is
reasonably free to implement the codec and distribute it as they
like. I mean, it may not be the easiest format to read (need for
plugins), but it certainly is the one you can read everywhere. I
think that's a good reason for Theora to stay the preferred codec
where interoperability is concerned.

Maybe the requirement could be changed like that:

"User agents SHOULD support Ogg Theora video and Ogg Vorbis audio, as
well as the Ogg container format. Or, alternatively, user agents
SHOULD give users the means to add support for this format."

That way, Theora and Vorbis can stay the preferred format, users of
Apple products can rely on add-ons to read Theora content, and Apple
can stay spec-compliant without having to fear submarine patents.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/