[whatwg] Conformance for Mail clients (and maybe other WYSIWYGeditors)

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Apr 11 02:16:57 PDT 2007

On Apr 11, 2007, at 2:01 AM, Kristof Zelechovski wrote:

> I think the correct fallback for a photograph for its own sake is
> alt="(Use
> a browser that supports graphic images to view)".

If you really want to be anal about the spec, I don't think this
would truly represent "text with an alternate image representation".
It is clearly an image with alternate text representation, and the
text representation isn't a very good substitute. To a reasonable
person, the meaning of my photostream is not a bunch of captions with
the text "(Use
a browser that supports graphic images to view)", the photos are the
meaning. In many cases, that meaning is difficult, perhaps
impossible, to fully convey in words.

Regards,
Maciej