[whatwg] WF2: Non-validating submit buttons

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Wed Apr 4 11:17:25 PDT 2007

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 14:05:44 +0200, Christian Schmidt
> <whatwg.org at chsc.dk> wrote:
>>>  It would be useful to be able to mark certain submit buttons as
>>> non-validating.
>>
>> There appears to be at least some demand for such a feature, and so
>> far there has been no negative responses. What is the next step?
>
> Providing some compelling usecases.

I thought we'd already done that. Here's a quick summary of the
use-cases presented so far, though of course whether or not they are
"compelling" is up to the reader to decide:

  * For "cancel" buttons where the server-side app just throws the
submitted form data away, it's pointless to validate it client-side.

  * Allowing the user to submit an unfinished form to the server to be
saved for later completion.

  * A "preview" button that allows the user to see the results of what
has been completed so far without completing the entire form.

  * Buttons that trigger round-trips to the server to alter the form in
some way.

Of these, the first and last are the ones that I find most compelling as
they are two things that are done in the wild on the web today that are
broken — or at least made a lot more tricky — by the use of Web Forms
client-side declarative validation.