[whatwg] Sequential List Proposal

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Thu Apr 5 07:16:11 PDT 2007

Following the discussion about the limitations of <dialog>, I
meditated about it a little and came up with the idea to generalize
things a little more.

When we have a dialog intermixed with actions and other events (like
"ABC leaves the chat room"), basically we have a sequential list of
events, actions and spoken parts. And in my later example, the
Canadian Parliament hansard, they're intermixed with timestamps at
regular intervals and other notes regarding live translations. Again,
this fits very well the concept of a list of different kinds of
intermixed sequential events.

So I propose a <sl> element (sequential list) which can be used to
replace <dialog> as well as other things. The proposal can be found
here:

<http://www.michelf.com/documents/whatwg/timeline/>

currently, except that you can have more than one <dd> following a
used to insert time marks where appropriate. And you don't need to
have any spoken part, meaning you can use it for system logs, or
historical timelines too by using only <li> and <time>.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/