[whatwg] Attribute for holding private data for scripting

ddailey ddailey at zoominternet.net
Mon Apr 9 11:16:39 PDT 2007

Henri, thanks for the link to PPK's suggestions -- I rather like many of
them.

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> At http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives/2007/04/html_5.html PPK
> suggests having an attribute for storing private data for scripts.

I'm having a hard time seeing what you're talking about here. When PPK says
"This attribute [to store data for unobtrusive scripts] should be valid for
all HTML elements. " I'm rather sure I've lost you.

Sometimes, I'll stick a long string inside an invisible textarea just so as
to give JavaScript something to chew on -- then I can use string.split to
pull the data apart. Is that what you mean? I rather doubt it.

By "private" you don't really mean inaccessible to end users do you?

I think I need an example to understand.

regards,
David