[whatwg] Attribute for holding private data for scripting

Sam Ruby rubys at intertwingly.net
Wed Apr 11 04:53:21 PDT 2007

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:40:39 +0200, Sam Ruby <rubys at intertwingly.net>
> wrote:
>> Per HTML5 section 8.1.2.3, however, such an attribute name would not
>> be considered conformant.
>
> Yes, only attributes defined in the specification are conformant.

I was specifically referring to section 8.1.2.3.  Let me call your
attention to the following text:

     Attribute names use characters in the range U+0061 LATIN SMALL
     LETTER A .. U+007A LATIN SMALL LETTER Z, or, in uppercase, U+0041
     LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A .. U+005A LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Z, and U+002D
     HYPHEN-MINUS (-).

>> Despite this, later in document, in the description of "Attribute name
>> state", no parse error is produced for this condition.  Nor does the
>> current html5lib parser produce a parse error with this data.
>
> Correct. We're not doing validation. Just tokenizing and building a tree.

In the process, parse errors are generally emitted in cases where
individual characters are encountered which do not match the lexical
grammar rules.  Just not in this case.

- Sam Ruby