[whatwg] IE/Win treats backslashes in path as forward slashes

Bill Mason whatwg at accessibleinter.net
Wed Apr 11 07:51:42 PDT 2007

Gervase Markham wrote:
>> Looking through the spec again, there is nothing about backslashes in
>> URI's path being treated as a forward slash, behaviour needed for
>> compatibility for quite a few websites.
>
> I would be rather surprised if that were true, given that Firefox
> doesn't do it and I've never come across a website which broke for that
> reason. But maybe I live a sheltered life.

It's not that unheard of, though I wouldn't say it's rampant.  Just a
quick search on bugzilla.mozilla.org [1] produces some samples.

Admittedly most of these bugs are old. However the newest one is from
January 2007, so the problem still crops up.

[1] http://tinyurl.com/2evdox

--
Bill Mason
Accessible Internet