[whatwg] Conformance for Mail clients (and maybe other WYSIWYGeditors)

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Wed Apr 11 10:36:38 PDT 2007

Kristof Zelechovski wrote:
> I think the correct fallback for a photograph for its own sake is alt="(Use
> a browser that supports graphic images to view)".

That is basically what happens if you omit the alt attribute altogether.
My graphical browsers (when I turn off images) write "Image" in place of
the image to alert me that there was one there. Presumably aural
browsers do something similar, telling the user that there is an image
present at this position in the document.

Also, your text is not particularly useful to someone with limited or no
vision. It might as well say alt="(Use eyes that work properly to view
this image)"

I expect that the browser-generated placeholder is more useful in almost
all cases.