[whatwg] Attribute for holding private data for scripting

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Wed Apr 11 14:38:27 PDT 2007

On Apr 11, 2007, at 16:04, Sam Ruby wrote:

> 1) re: "prefix_name" - how are prefixes registered?  Henri is free
> to correct me if I am wrong, but I gathered that the requirement
> was for a bit of decentralized extensibility, i.e., the notion that
> anybody for any reason could defined an extension for holding
> private data; and furthermore could do so without undo fear of
> collision.

I did not have any prefixing mechanism in mind. I was thinking of
establishing an attribute such as "script-private" where authors
would be free to stick anything for retrieval by scripts. I was
assuming that the usage of the attribute and the scripts running on
the page would be tightly coupled. That is, generating the attributes
and writing the script that consumes them would be under the control
of the same developer/team.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi