[whatwg] IE/Win treats backslashes in path as forward slashes

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Apr 11 15:40:08 PDT 2007

On Apr 11, 2007, at 8:28 AM, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

> At 3:13 PM +0100 UTC, on 4/11/07, Gervase Markham wrote:
>
>> Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
>>> Looking through the spec again, there is nothing about
>>> backslashes in
>>> URI's path being treated as a forward slash, behaviour needed for
>>> compatibility for quite a few websites.
>>
>> I would be rather surprised if that were true
>
> Be surpirsed: <http://santek.no-ip.org/~st/tests/backslash/>
>
> I've no idea how many sites rely on this, but given that Safari
> copied this
> behaviour apparently Apple found the problem big enough to bother.

Besides the backslash thing, there are a number of URI processing
rules that browsers must follow for web compatibility which are
either not required by or directly contradictory to the URI RFCs.
Documenting these and fixing the relevant RFCs would be a valuable
goal, but possibly beyond the scope of WHATWG.

Regards,
Maciej