[whatwg] Canvas suggestions

Stefan Haustein sh at kobjects.org
Sun Apr 15 13:36:34 PDT 2007

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> You can achieve relative moves by doing a translation to the current
> point when drawing; this is a more general version of what your pathBase
> property would do.

Hi,

the WHATWG spec says you cannot do so (section 3.14.11.1.8):

"Note: The transformation is applied to the path when it is drawn, not
when the path is constructed. Thus, a single path can be constructed and
then drawn according to different transformations without recreating the
path."

BTW: The Mozilla Developer Connection clock sample relies on applying
transformations at construction time, but runs fine in Firefox 2, so at
least the Firefox implementation seems to be non-conforming in this
respect.

In my opinion, relative moves easily become confusing in the case of
Bezier Curves (what is the point of reference for the third and fourth
coordinate pair?), and additional methods would basically be redundant
without significant gains in functionality or speed.

However, a faster way to set (and get) the line or fill color that does
not involve parsing / object construction would be appreciated very much.

BTW2: What about drawString(), I'd really love to see this one...

Best regards,
Stefan Haustein