[whatwg] [wf2] form submission algorithm questions

Benjamin West bewest at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 12:28:12 PDT 2007

On 4/16/07, Kristof Zelechovski <giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl> wrote:
> What do you mean by "rinse"?  Only the end user is in position to make the
> necessary corrections if the input is invalid.  Any interaction with the
> user should not be executed inside a loop because it is a frustrating
> experience where you do not know where you are, what you are operating on
> and how to get out of this mess (reminds me of Emacs recursive edit mode) so
> that "repeat" afterwards really does not make sense.  After the user feels
> ho is ready, ho can resubmit, triggering another event thereby.
> Chris

I apologize, "rinse and repeat" is a familiar idiom in the U.S. after
shampoo bottles started including these instructions.  If there is
something wrong with the input (as decided by the application),
feedback is provided to the user, and she is given an opportunity to
fix.  This process is iterative (eg rinse and repeat) so that the user
can iterate towards success without suffering consequences (such as
long waiting times) in between corrections.  My proposal intends to
put the user in control by offering a more immersive and responsive
control, reducing spurious or confusing error messages (of the ilk
"you need to enter a string instead of a number").  There is no
automatic procedural loop, just an iterative process for validating
and submitting sane input.

Thanks for pointing out the ambiguity.

-Ben