[whatwg] Parsing: < in unquoted attribute values

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Wed Apr 25 00:53:10 PDT 2007

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 00:03:40 +0200, Simon Pieters <zcorpan at gmail.com>
wrote:
> The parsing section says that < in an unquoted attribute value
> terminates the tag. However, according to my testing[1], IE7, Gecko,
> Opera and Webkit don't do this -- they append the < to the attribute
> value. So I think the parsing section is wrong here.

IE also lets < be an attribute. It can also be part of an attribute or
element name. This means that:

will become a 'p<' element with a 'p' attribute which has 'test' as
textContent. This basically means less exceptions in the tokenizer for the
'<' character which would be fine with me.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>