[whatwg] Target Attribute Values

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Thu Apr 26 00:34:02 PDT 2007

Hi,
   This is regarding the valid browsing context names, used for the
target attribute [1].

Why is _blank still considered a conforming value?  On IRC, Hixie
mentioned that there are some legitimate use cases, but didn't list any.
  I've argued against popups many times before and heard many arguments
for them, but I'm yet to hear of any legitimate use cases.  If there are
any, what are they?

_new is also not specced, yet it is widely used and treated as a magic
value like _blank in Firefox.  Maybe it should be specced the same as
_blank.  However, IE, Opera and Safari didn't appear to treat it as
such, so maybe it's not needed.

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#valid8

--
Lachlan Hunt