[whatwg] Target Attribute Values

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Apr 27 20:49:12 PDT 2007

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> Why is _blank still considered a conforming value?  On IRC, Hixie
> mentioned that there are some legitimate use cases, but didn't list any.
> I've argued against popups many times before and heard many arguments
> for them, but I'm yet to hear of any legitimate use cases.  If there are
> any, what are they?

I've removed _blank from the list of valid values.

> _new is also not specced, yet it is widely used and treated as a magic
> value like _blank in Firefox.  Maybe it should be specced the same as
> _blank. However, IE, Opera and Safari didn't appear to treat it as such,
> so maybe it's not needed.

_new isn't supported in IE. I couldn't work out why Firefox supports it.
I've not added it.

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Spartanicus wrote:

> As a user I detest new windows opening without having chosen to do that
> myself. But I'd question the wisdom of making _blank non conforming.
>
> 1) At least _blank allows me to filter it out before sending it to my
> browser.
>
> 2) Afaik currently any attribute value for the target attribute which
> hasn't been defined opens a new window. If _blank were made non
> conforming authors would imo resort to using non defined names which has
> the same result in practice, but which makes filtering such methods out
> on the user end much harder.

If people widely blocked _blank, then authors would start using the names
anyway. So that doesn't really change anything in practice.

> I've argued my socks off trying to convince authors that they should
> leave opening new windows to users, but there are an awful lot of them
> who for various reasons insists on doing just that.

It would be interesting to hear the needs of these authors. Can anyone
elaborate? We might well need to re-allow it in the end, I'm curious to
hear why people use it.

> Would perhaps a spec conformance requirement that browsers should offer
> users a config option to opt out of windows being opened via target
> values be an alternative? It could avoid the seemingly unwin'able
> argument with authors who insist on doing this, and give users the final
> say

This doesn't have to be in the spec, since it isn't required for interop.

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> For most desktop applications in-depth help is presented in a separate
> window, so this will also likely be desirable for Web applications that
> do not consist of scrollable pages. (In those that do consist of
> scrollable pages, help would generally be better embedded in the pages
> themselves, perhaps as expandable sections.)
>
> So that's a use case for popup windows, but not necessarily a use case
> for _blank, because help windows are usually reused (akin to
> target="myappnamehelp" rather than target="_blank").

Indeed.

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> That's a use case for _top or _parent, not _blank.

Indeed.