[whatwg] Why Canvas?

WeBMartians webmartians at verizon.net
Wed Aug 1 04:06:30 PDT 2007

I "copy." So, it's essentially a question of expediency. Is that proper for a standard? Don't read me wrong - faced with getting the bloody document out, I'd opt for what is running today, too.

Formally stated, my position is "leave it as is," but out of curiosity, do you see any obvious holes (especially security ones) with extending the graphics primitives to handle any rectangular entities, not just <canvas>?

The code snippet to detect canvas functionality
	var cvs = document.getElementById(<elementIdentity>);
	if (cvs.getContext){
		var ctx = cvs.getContext('2d');
		// drawing code here
	}
I suppose would work to detect canvas functionality on non-<canvas> entities as well.

BtW - Even against <canvas> entities, I like this script approach (with or without the use of fallback content) because it can yield a more predictable presentation over a wide range of browsers, which may or may not support the closing </canvas> tag.

The draft specification seems to imply (but does not state - I'll reread to make sure) that the script sees the backing store for the canvas rather than the rendered image itself. As long as the browser's script engine does not support image manipulation (input) or does not resize images, this is no big deal. As soon as either or both are implemented, the distinction becomes critical and must be the backing store. ...or so I claim... Correct?