[whatwg] <map id="">

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Aug 7 23:00:50 PDT 2007

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007, Shadow2531 wrote:

> In Opera, regardless of mime type, Opera can match usemap="#test" to
> Whether Opera uses the map element with the name or the map element with
> the id depends on which one comes first in the document.
>
> IE does the same.
>
> For FF Minefield, it strictly only matches an id in
> application/xhtml+xml and strictly only matches a name attribute in
> text/html.
>
> Allowing *both* id and name to match (in text/html at least ) per IE's
> rules would be great for compatibility.
>
> As for application/xhtml+xml and the name attribute, I don't have much
> of an opinion.
>
> Having to use name in text/html and id in application/xhtml+xml or both
> if you're serving the page as text/html to some and
> application/xhtml+xml to others means an extra tweak that could be
> solved by allowing id to match in text/html.
>
> Just being able to use id regardless of the mime type would be the way
> to go and name can be left for just for text/html for compatibility if
> we don't want to allow it for application/xhtml+xml too like Opera does.

Right now the spec requires that you use id="", but both name="" and
id="" work, and they are case-insensitive. So we have back-compat (except
in esoteric cases where pages expect it _not_ to match something, or where
there are duplicates). Is that ok?

The case-insensitiveness on ID could be a problem. Should that change?