[whatwg] Looking at menus in HTML5...

Andrew Fedoniouk news at terrainformatica.com
Tue Aug 7 23:48:48 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian Hickson" <ian at hixie.ch>
To: "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news at terrainformatica.com>
Cc: "WHAT WG List" <whatwg at whatwg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 7:36 PM
Subject: Re: [whatwg] Looking at menus in HTML5...

>> Do you have any examples of exisiting web applications that will benefit
>> significantly from having that flat puristic context menus?
>
> Web applications widely have hacks for context menus today. For example,
> Google Maps and Live Search maps have simple context menus. Today they
> have to have non-native implementations that don't really work well and
> that interfere with the browser's features.
>

>> So where this context menu feature request comes from?
>
> It's a frequent request from Web app developers.

Do you have any links for them?

>> I believe that HTML5 goal is to provide more or less generic solution
>> that can serve as simple menus *and* cover the whole class of popup
>> elements and lightweight dialog needs.
>
> Nope, that isn't the goal. We're aiming at 80% with the intent to keep the
> basic language simple and approachable.

> I would argue that what we have in the spec now solves a good 80% of all
> needs for menus and tool bars. I don't think most people need pie menus,
> application launchers, complex markup in menus, etc.
>

>> In any case I would like to know examples of existing web applications
>> that such non-styleable menus.
>
> I gave two earlier; Google Docs and Spreadsheets is another. Context menus
> that are "non-styleable" are used in almost all desktop applications, so
> any Web analogue to desktop applications could well want to use one. We
> frequently get requests for how to do this.

Question was: "Do you have any examples of exisiting web applications that
will benefit *significantly* from having that flat puristic context menus?"

Google Maps uses two types of context menus/panels:
http://www.terrainformatica.com/w3/gmap.jpg

So you say that if one of it will be implemented  as <select type="menu">
then this will significantly improve quality of this application or solve
many problems. Sounds a bit artificial, isn't it?

And here is an example of menu used in Google Spreadsheet
http://www.terrainformatica.com/w3/gcalc.jpg

So you say that Google Spreadsheet will use that plain text
menus?

And where these 80% came from? If three applications you
provided will not benefit from proposed solution?

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com