[whatwg] My case for Ruby-elements

Keryx Web webmaster at keryx.se
Sun Aug 12 12:54:23 PDT 2007

On topic remark at the bottom...

Krzysztof Żelechowski skrev:

> I have just encountered a similar problem, the difference is my problem is
> vertical.  I have a document in two languages; the document has internal
> structure (not just plain text).  My intention is to display this document in
> two columns with corresponding passages side by side retaining existing
> markup.  I am afraid there is no way to do it because existing markup cannot
> span table rows.

Not sure if ruby can satisfy that. I am not an expert on ruby in any
way. I am not even sure that ruby would be the best solution to my
problem, but wanted to throw in the question. With some CSS cleverness
it sounds possible to solve your dilemma though.

> BTW: What do you think about explicit kerning?  You can move boxes with a
> relative position around but the layout depends on their natural positions.  I
> understand this is rather off topic (CSS).

Once again, out of my sphere of knowledge.

As to the real issue for this list: Can ruby be marked as "todo" on the
spec and also commented upon that the use of ruby shall be considered
"conformant" for authors? (As of now the only reference to ruby is "Sam
Ruby" in the acknowledgments...)

Lars Gunther