[whatwg] Answering the question...

John Foliot foliot at wats.ca
Thu Aug 23 10:40:27 PDT 2007

Earlier today, Lachlan Hunt posed the following question
[http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20070823#l-271]:

# [04:40] <Lachy> why do people keep overreacting and bringing up the
headers issue all the time?!
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Aug/0926.html
# [05:15] <Hixie> "headers= are allready counted by our editor as
insignificant"
# [05:15] <Hixie> they are? i thought i'd not yet looked at them.

...and there you have it.  Despite protracted discussion (argument?) and a
formal submission from the WAI PF regarding the requirement of headers for
complicated tables on June 6, 2007
[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jun/0145.html], the
"official" word from  Ian Hickson is that they've "not yet looked at them".

What more needs to be looked at?  Our community provided research, rationale
and worked within the system (and the system's rules) in response to this
issue, yet it is still deemed open or unresolved.  It is *exactly* this kind
of response/reaction that many such as myself are frustrated with.  This
issue should be resolved - now.  Either headers as they are currently used
are *in* the HTML 5 draft, or they are *out*.  I challenge the editors to
answer this very simple question - are you *really* listening to us, or are
you simply smiling and nodding, and going back to your IRC channel to bash
the accessibility advocates once again?

Lachlan, the answer to your question is as clear as the nose on your face -
we keep bringing up the same issues, because you guys keep ducking the hard
answers.

JF