[whatwg] OGG in HTML5

alex mail at nabu.be
Tue Dec 11 08:20:02 PST 2007

I am a webdeveloper and a fierce supporter of opensource. I was under
the impression the standards were being designed in the same opensource
spirit, but I may have been wrong. Setting OGG as the de facto standard
is the best idea i've heard in a long time, and now it's all coming down
because a few companies (some of which are known for their vendor
lock-in tactics) want to keep their empire.

I am not saying that ogg should be enforced onto anyone, if nokia wishes
to keep using a different format, no problem, but by making it a
standard, we at least know that ogg will be supported by all
(standards-compatible) browsers, and as such it can be deployed by those
who are opposed to vendor lock-in or monopoly positions.

OGG is the choice of freedom, enabling that freedom for all
webdevelopers is a must in my opinion, although in the same spirit, it
can not be enforced upon anyone, therefor the original text stating it
"should" instead of it "must" is probably the best way to go.

Freedom for those who choose, the alternative for the rest.