[whatwg] getElementsByClassName case sensitivity

David Smith catfish.man at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 17:38:33 PST 2007

	Currently getElementsByClassName is specified as always being case
sensitive. This would be fine, except that the primary other use of
html class names (CSS selector matching) is only case sensitive in
"standards mode". This leads to situations like http://dscoder.com/getelementsbyclassname.html
  in which CSS and getElementsByClassName match different results,
which I think is a rather unintuitive behavior. For this reason, I'd
like to propose that the case insensitivity quirk for class name
matching be maintained in getElementsByClassName. So far I've spoken
to people on the Opera, Firefox, and WebKit teams, and gotten
matters, but I'll implement whichever way the spec ends up", so
hopefully this won't be a particularly controversial change to make.

						David Smith