[whatwg] Google Gears and HTML5

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Dec 10 18:07:08 PST 2007

On Wed, 30 May 2007, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> One thing I'd like to see is some reconciliation between the SQL API and
> the Storage interface. These are two completely separate storage
> mechanisms with different security policies, different access APIs (SQL
> queries vs. simple key/value pairs), and separate storage. I'm wondering
> if the spec really needs both.

I have massively simplified the globalStorage stuff in order to reduce the
problem of having both. However, I do think we do need both. Indeed,
especially for sessionStorage, I would expect them to be used in
conjunction (e.g. to create a session key for client-side work).

> Conversely maybe something can be done to make them integrate better,
> perhaps the Storage items appear as a table via the SQL API, in which
> case most of the Storage calls are just a convenience interface, but you
> can still do queries on the same data. In this case, it might make sense
> to move the executeSql method to the Storage interface.

I believe this would actually constrain implementors (possibly a lot)
without really helping authors much.

(I will reply to the other parts of your e-mail as appropriate later.)