[whatwg] Removal off Ogg technology

Geoffrey Sneddon foolistbar at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 11 08:38:34 PST 2007

On 11 Dec 2007, at 15:33, Wilson Michaels wrote:

> In reference to:
> http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker?from=1142&to=1143
>
> I am a retired software developer who is outraged that Ogg
> technology has been removed from HTML5. It must be
> reinstated as a "should" option so that the world is not
> held hostage to proprietary implementations of media
> technologies. Proprietary technologies eventually are used
> to limit inovation and prevent entry of other thechnologies
> that threaten the proprietary company in some way. We don't
> need another MP3 fiasco.

What difference is there between a SHOULD that few, if any, major
companies implement, and one that doesn't exist? The spec will never
recommend any format that cannot be freely (as in beer) be implemented
safely by developers (i.e., without risking being sued). Also, MP3 is
not a proprietary standard: you can go out and buy a copy of the spec
if you wish, and pay any patent charges due. You still, as with
anything invented within the last 20 years (including Ogg/Vorbis/
Theora), run the risk of a submarine patents.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>