[whatwg] Removal of Ogg is *preposterous*

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) rudd-o at rudd-o.com
Tue Dec 11 10:21:32 PST 2007

I actually think this Slashdot comment summarizes the sentiment perfectly:

"Methinks you are being a bit myopic here. Where would we be today if the HTML
spec didn't specify jpg, gif, and png as baseline standards for the image
tag? Can you imagine a huge mishmash of competing proprietary image
standards, many of which wouldn't even render in free software browsers like
Firefox? That would be a nightmare, but unfortunately, that's what's
currently happening with video. Much like the image standard in HTML means
that any browser can display anything in an image tag, so too must the video
standard in HTML guarantee that any browser can display anything in a video
tag. That's what the proposed specification is about."

Exactly.  For audio, Ogg Vorbis should be the baseline standard.  Companies
are free to implement their own technology and installable kits or
redistribution agreements that allow people to use their tech on their
computers.  And for video, likewise but replace Vorbis for Theora.

Otherwise, let's start preparing for 1995 and "To view this page, you need to
install this piece of crapware" all over again.  I lived that (together with
Windows 95, which in all fairness was rather good compared to the
alternatives -- thank god for Linux).  I don't want to experience it all over
again, especially since I know that even today, that crapware isn't even
gonna be made for Linux, and I'm going to be screwed again.

Ian, revert.
--

	Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) <rudd-o at rudd-o.com>
	Rudd-O.com - http://rudd-o.com/

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't
know.
		-- Mark Twain