[whatwg] HTML 5, OGG, competition, civil rights, and persons with disabilities

Dave Singer singer at apple.com
Tue Dec 11 16:14:39 PST 2007

At 19:07  -0500 11/12/07, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
>Well, consensus is going to be hard to find, with the conflicts of interest at
>play here.

Yes, I agree that consensus will be hard.  I have
spent quite some effort so far and I see quite a
bit more to come.  I don't think there is much
conflict of interest at play here (in the classic
sense), just conflict of perception and preferred
direction.

>  And all that we want is that Ogg Vorbis and Ogg Theora, being the
>ideal balance between least-encumbered and technically sufficient options, be
>mentioned in the document that will be read by millions -- even if it wasn't
>a SHOULD but a MAY or an ITWOULDBENICE.  They more than deserve it.

That is still a possibility.

>So, here's a challenge.  Does Apple really *only* want to be able to claim
>SHOULD conformance?

No, we went with the consensus opinion at the
HTML meeting that MUST would be better, if it can
be achieved.

>Reinstate the paragraph and put MAY instead of SHOULD,
>then go crazy authoring H.264 content for the VIDEO tag.  That resolution
>lets you have SHOULD conformance.  If you refuse, we know that it's a market
>and monopoly thing.  If you accept, we know you were being straightforward
>all along.

Most of us are less than satisfied with SHOULD,
and MAY is in the opposite direction to that
desired.

--
David Singer
Apple/QuickTime