[whatwg] Removal of Ogg is *preposterous*

Dave Singer singer at apple.com
Tue Dec 11 17:31:40 PST 2007

At 20:21  -0500 11/12/07, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
>El Mar 11 Dic 2007, Dave Singer escribió:
>>  At 13:09  -0500 11/12/07, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
>>  >Fact: Vorbis is the *only* codec whose patent status has been widely
>>  >researched, nearly to exhaustion.
>>
>>  You are clearly completely unaware of the extensive analysis done of
>>  other codecs, including those that are licensed.
>
>And all those other analyses have yielded us this stalemate?

I am not yet ready to say we are at a stalemate
here;  I simply believe that it is desirable to
get everyone (including Nokia and Microsoft as
well as Apple) on board.  That's in all our
interests, and I continue to work to that end.

>That is a testament to the value of standards.  No one ever said you didn't
>make standards.  I claimed you made *proprietary* standards.

That is an oxymoron.  Ogg is NOT a standard;  it
is an open-source effort.  H.264 (for example) is
NOT proprietary, but a multi-vendor-developed
international standard.  But you knew this;
you're just trying to use emotional terms.

>Playpens where
>only the big boys get to play and the rest get to pay.  But in all fairness,
>I should bring up that you also made Zeroconf possible, and that's awesome.

Thank you.
--
David Singer
Apple/QuickTime