[whatwg] several messages regarding Ogg in HTML5

Robert Sayre sayrer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 21:22:56 PST 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 7:47 PM, Dave Singer <singer at apple.com> wrote:

> I am sure there are many other questions...

One question might concern the value in standardizing a shell API for
proprietary codecs. If there are no freely implementable solutions,
maybe the spec should drop it.

Personally, I think it would be pretty offensive to ship an H.264
playing application and call it "standards-based" or some nonsense
like that. I understand that the WG is a poor place to settle legal
issues with codecs. However, it's pretty poor form to endlessly
handwave objections while leaving the API in the document, as if there
were no target codecs.

--

Robert Sayre