[whatwg] several messages regarding Ogg in HTML5

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Wed Dec 12 15:03:10 PST 2007

On Dec 12, 2007 9:47 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> > The way i see it there are 3 possibilities so far:
> > - use ogg, possible (but negligable) risk of submarine patents
>
> This is basically as acceptable to companies like Apple as H.264 is to the
> free software community.

I don't think so. At any time Apple could make a business decision to assume
the patent risk without changing the way they do business. For the free
software community to accept H.264 we'd need either an appropriate
royalty-free patent license (which would be fantastic, but seems highly
improbable), or we'd have to give up on free software.

Ogg isn't a choice, unfortunately.

That sounds more immutable than it is. Apple and Nokia and others could
change their minds at any time, for example if a large enough quantity of
Theora content emerged that the value to their users balanced the perceived
risk.

Rob
--
"Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred
denarii, and the other fifty. Neither of them had the money to pay him back,