[whatwg] The truth about Nokias claims

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 11:41:04 PST 2007

Charles,

This needs some correction, too, I think. :-)

Ogg Theora is not the same as VC3. It was built out of VC3 and the
specification is available freely and openly and there has been a 1.0
release of the specification, so it is also managed well from that
point of view. That Xiph is not an official standards body doesn't
really mean much.

So, while you can call VC3 "proprietary", you cannot do the same with
Theora IMHO.

Regards,
Silvia.