[whatwg] The truth about Nokias claims

Charles lists07 at wiltgen.net
Thu Dec 13 12:22:20 PST 2007

Mark,

>> AVC is a standard under both the ITU-T Video Coding Experts Group
>> (VCEG) and ISO/IEC Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG).
>
> Right, but of course neither VCEG nor ISO/IEC have a monopoly on
> setting standards.

Certainly, sir, but that wasn't my point.

> It's a standard because it has a public spec and because an
> organization issues those spec.

In my experience, an organization (non-profit or not) can't simply publish their own specification and claim, "hey, this is a standard".  That would certainly be easier.

> Putting the Theora bitstream into the same efficiency class as
> MPEG-1 is pretty questionable...

You're right, that was based on my experience with VC3.  It's possible that Theora is a bit more efficient, although any significant efficiency improvements versus the VC3 base would also increase the "surface area" at risk to infringement.

> I also doubt the "completely unsuitable" for 3G throughput statement
> as you don't even give specific requirements.

This is getting uncomfortably off-topic, but a reasonable real-world target is 300 Kbps for both audio and video, maybe less if you want it increase the chances of it working around rush hour.

-- Charles