[whatwg] The truth about Nokias claims

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) rudd-o at rudd-o.com
Thu Dec 13 14:37:50 PST 2007

Clever.  But wrong.  Let's not discuss your definition of the word
proprietary, because we'll never agree.

Let's just focus on the fact that AVC is not implementable by everyone.  Just
because someone implemented it without permission does not guarantee that
users or other implementors of the technology won't be driven to Chapter 11
by the patent owners, just as MP3 implementors were driven to the underground
in the nineties and early 2000's.  Today, if you want to get LAME, you need
to go samizdat if you're in a country with software patents.

That makes AVC unfree, period.

Oh, and therefore, it's not even on the table for HTML5.

--

	Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) <rudd-o at rudd-o.com>
	Rudd-O.com - http://rudd-o.com/

Now playing, courtesy of Amarok: Scooter - See me, feel me (radio edit)
The man who sets out to carry a cat by its tail learns something that
will always be useful and which never will grow dim or doubtful.
		-- Mark Twain