[whatwg] The truth about Nokias claims

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) rudd-o at rudd-o.com
Thu Dec 13 17:20:15 PST 2007

Charles,

You can understand implementation to be "writing code", or implementation to
be "putting to use".  Nowadays it would be technically illegal in the U.S. to
use LAME (perfectly good copylefted software, and I understand it to be the
highest quality implementation of a Layer 3 encoder) to encode anything
without paying a license.  The fact that people do not use it in the States
can be understood as a consequence of the patent.

And my name is Manu*e*l.

Again, to use a better word, I can neither program an AVC implementation, nor
distribute it, nor distribute x264, nor use x264 to encode files if I live in
the States.  Sure there are a few provisions for people who do small-time
encoding, but if we're discussing inclusion in HTML5, AVC is even more
dangerous than Ogg Theora.

In fact, even if it were possible to release *all* AVC patents royalty-free to
the public, there'd still be the risk of submarine patents just as some claim
to be the case nowadays with Ogg technology.

--

	Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) <rudd-o at rudd-o.com>
	Rudd-O.com - http://rudd-o.com/

Now playing, courtesy of Amarok: Stellar project feat. Brandi Emma - Get up
stand up
Cheer Up!  Things are getting worse at a slower rate.