[whatwg] The truth about Nokias claims

Joseph Daniel Zukiger joseph_daniel_zukiger at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 06:58:24 PST 2007

>[...]
> Indeed, the only difference is that with H.264 the
> large companies in
> question have _already_ taken on the risk, so there
> is no additional
> risk,

... for the big companies ...

> whereas with Theora there are no large
> distributors today and
> therefore patent trolls wouldn't even have
> considered coming out of the
> woodwork yet. (Pardon my mixed metaphors.)

Just wait 'til the behemoth in Redmond has a loosely
held independent subsidiary of something not visibly
connected start making noises about how open source
software "might" be encumbered.

> I believe many of the points being made in the most
> recent e-mails on this
> subject are points that have already been made many
> times.
>
> As far as I can tell, there are no satisfactory
> codecs today.

As several keep trying to point out, there can be no
satisfactory codecs, except satisfactory to certain
parties, because, we have to assume for lack of other
evidence, of backroom deals.

> [...]

joudanzuki