[whatwg] Patent on VP3 / Apple

Dave Singer singer at apple.com
Fri Dec 14 17:15:56 PST 2007

At 0:32  +0000 15/12/07, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:
>On Dec 14, 2007 2:22 AM, Dave Singer <singer at apple.com> wrote:
>>  We are not trying to be obstructive  but rather the
>>  reverse.  We want a solution which is effective and we are willing to
>>  work to that end, but some things are probably better done at arm's
>>  length or by a neutral party.
>
>Mr. Singer, are you perhaps in a position to state if Apple may
>embrace Theora as the baseline codec for <video> if Theora does come
>out clean after a patent search by an independent entity?

No, I am alas not in a position to make promises
on behalf of Apple.  I can only say what I am
doing, which is working on this issue quite hard.
I do believe that at least some of the underlying
causes (of the current inability to reach
consensus) can be ameliorated with some hard work
and research, that's all.
--
David Singer
Apple/QuickTime