[whatwg] HTML5 and URI Templates

James M Snell jasnell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 10:22:27 PST 2007

If a legacy browser comes across <form template="..." />, it would be no
different than if it came across a form element with no action
attribute; which means it would have the same impact as the html5 choice
to allow the accept attribute.

It should be possible for us to also do something like:

  <form action="http://example.org/form_processor"
        template="http://example.org?{-join|&|a,b}"
        method="POST">
    <input name="a" type="text" />
    <input name="b" type="text" />
    <input name="c" type="text" />
    <input name="d" type="text" />
  </form>

In a template-aware HTML5 processor, when the form is submitted, the
value of the action attribute would be overridden by the expanded URI
Template. In legacy browsers, however, the form will be posted to
http://example.org/form_processor.  This would provide application
developers with a simple and hopefully transparent fallback for
down-level browsers.

HTML5 Post:

  POST /example.org?a=w&b=x
  Host: example.org