[whatwg] De-emphasis

Nicholas Shanks contact at nickshanks.com
Thu Feb 8 11:09:24 PST 2007

So there have been a number of complaints that the only way to de-
emphasize something is via <small>. I am one such complaining voice.
There have been several suggested solutions proposed too. I would
like to give my opinions on a few of those:

<em level="-1"> or similar attribute

My concern here is whether this is supposed to be an absolute or
result in an emphasis level of 2 (relative) or −1 (absolute). What
would level="+3" mean?

<de-em>, <de-emph>, <subdue> or other new element

I think a new element would be better, but the English language seems
to lack an antonym for "emphasis".
http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/emphasis
http://www.synonym.com/antonym/emphasis
Short of proposing a new word (“antiphasis" ?) and deriving an
element from that I'm not sure there's anything that would be suitable.

Antiphasizing: the act of coughing over or mumbling something you say
when you don't want others to hear it. ;-)

Repurposing an existing element

I don't think there's anything that would be suitable. Using <small>
would give the wrong impression to HTML authors.

Does anyone else have better ideas?

- Nicholas.