[whatwg] Authoring Re: several messages about HTML5

Dave Raggett dsr at w3.org
Wed Feb 21 04:02:33 PST 2007

Thanks Charles for that really inciteful response. I very much agree
with the need to get authoring tool support for semantically richer
markup. Microformats are great - but how many people find that they
can't be bothered with that level of detail, especially when using a
wysiwyg style of editor? Rather than considering this to be somebody
else's problem, it seems timely to try and do something about it
myself. I am therefore devoting a lot of my time into developing a
new kind of authoring environment that combines a semantic view with
a wysiwyg view, and which will use dictionaries to generate the
markup that few of us can be bothered to write directly.

What has this to do with HTML5, I hear you asking?  The answer is
not about markup per se, but rather about the scripting interfaces
that browsers provide, and which make possible writing such
authoring tools as cross-browser web applications. It has taken a
great deal of effort to coax IE into providing DOM2 ranges, as
needed to support detecting the location of mouse clicks and to
moving beyond "italic" and "bold" as the only kinds of emphasis that
IE supports with execCommand and text ranges. Keyboard events are
the other major source of pain. The good news is that editing
support can be implemented in an interoperably way across all modern
web browsers without the need for changes to HTML and without any
dependence on designMode or contentEditable. Improvements to
keystroke events would be valuable and I look forward to widespread
support for DOM3 events.

This brings us back to what kind of innovation is needed for the
creation of web content. One thought is to respect the separation of
roles in teams, for instance, text content, graphics design, user
interface design, data modelling and information flows. Authoring
tools need to respect this separation of roles and avoid burdening
people with tasks that are inappropriate to their roles. If you are
a journalist providing copy, then you shouldn't be worried about
layout and styling. You would also expect help with finding and
linking to appropriate references and photos, although these might
be added by someone else. It is quite unlikely that you would be
interested in element class attribute values etc.

Paper still has lots of advantages for editorial work, and I rather
like Malcom Gladwell's "The social life of paper"

   http://www.gladwell.com/2002/2002_03_25_a_paper.htm

We need to think more about how to enable the kinds of affordances
that pen and paper provide for various tasks, and what kinds of web
authoring tools this would permit.

  Dave Raggett <dsr at w3.org> http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett