[whatwg] [WF3] Web Forms 3.0 Feature List

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Sun Feb 25 10:26:02 PST 2007

Mihai Sucan wrote:
>> Not if it does the simple, smart thing that Thunderbird does - if you
>> paste in a comma-separated list of addresses, turn it into a list of
>> single entries.
>
> You've now added even more work: parse the list of emails, and add the
> new inputs for each email address.

You already have the code for adding new inputs, because you fire it
when you press Enter after entering a single address. As for the rest:

var addresses = textbox.split(/[:,]\s*/);

> Also, what Thunderbird does is not always desirable: having 50+, 150+
> emails takes too much screen space (too many rows).

This is what scrollbars are for. A web page is not a physical device. If
you think the user will get tired scrolling past the 150 addresses they
just added, put the address list into a <div style=overflow:scroll> with
a height of approximately 10x the height of a text box.

> Keeping all of them
> in a single input is a lot more compact.

And a lot harder to find a particular one and delete it.

> Isn't it easier, after all, to have a single simple <input type=emails>
> ? Parsed only once when the form is submitted (either server-side, or
> client-side, it does not really matter).

I don't think it's as easy to use or edit, and it makes it harder for
the browser to do things like automatic address completion from a dropdown.

> JS+DOM work. The final result is basically allowing not only a single
> <input type=emails> (as I suggested), but multiple such fields, as many
> as the user wants - while all the work is done by the web author, not by
> the UA.

Not all the work. They have <input type="email"> as a building block.
But yes - webmail implementations are free to come up with their own
excellent ideas about the best way to handle 150 email addresses in the
UI. I'd call that a feature, not a bug.

Gerv