[whatwg] The m element

Charles McCathieNevile chaals at opera.com
Tue Feb 6 13:00:20 PST 2007

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 01:25:37 +0530, Alexey Feldgendler <alexey at feldgendler.ru>
wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 09:13:27 +0100, Mikko Rantalainen <mikko.rantalainen at peda.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps <m> should be considered as a special case of <em>. I would have
>> to agree that semantic value of <m> over <em> is next to meaningless. I
>> is meant for highlighting content for a single user and <em> is meant
>> for emphasizing stuff in general. That would limit usage of <m> to
>> dynamically generated content only, though, and reserving such a short
>> tag for that purpose only doesn't seem reasonable.

> placed by somebody or something other than the author of the original text.

HTML doesn't really imply that an original author or later editor decided on
what markup to use.

> Highlighting search hits is one of the examples (the hits are marked by the
> search engine, not by the author of the text). Another example can be quoting
> someone and using <m> to mark the words of particular importance — not in the
> cited author's opinion, but rather in the context where the quote appears.
>
> Example:

> into human beings.</q> Note the use of British spelling.</p>
>
> Using <em> in this example wouldn't be appropriate because it would imply that
“labour”
> is the most important word in the sentence.

No, it just implies that in the context of this page as delivered, the word is
emphasised for some reason (which you have to guess from context unless you are
going with RDFa or some microformat or something).

cheers

Chaals

chaals at opera.com Try Opera 9.1 http://opera.com